Over the past 40 plus years, GCCA has provided Chinatown residents with a wide range of consultation and programming — in English, Mandarin and Cantonese — including:
• providing information, eligibility screening, application processing assistance, referrals and advocacy to help clients obtain public benefits and social services;
• providing individual instruction to prepare for the U.S. naturalization exam and assistance in the application process for citizenship;
• offering free ‘wellness’ services (e.g., acupuncture /massage therapy and Chinese slow motion Tai Chi exercises for individuals with chronic illness and pain) for people that are uninsured or dependent on Medicaid or Medicare;
• offering adult education classes like basic education in the Native Language (BENL), English for Speakers of Other Language (ESOL), computer training, and civics/government classes; and
• sourcing cultural and recreational activities for adults and seniors on daily, monthly, holiday, and annual bases.
Programs under development
Webinars delivering information critical to adults having to meet the needs of their elders as well as the needs of the children in their families. Topics including but not limited to:
Preparing for a Death in the Family
Caring for Seniors with Dementia
How Children Can Improve the Mental and Physical Health of Seniors
What the US Administration on Aging Can do for You
The Coronavirus Relief for Seniors and People with Disabilities Act
Home and public signage for seniors with dementia. Dementia signage does what general signage does – helps people find their way around – but is specifically designed based on how those with dementia take in information. GCCA also works with public service organizations like police and fire departments, healthcare providers and local restaurant and pharmacy owners to strategically place public dementia signage.
Social media and other digital entertainment, communication and technology instruction. Social media and other online communication and entertainment has been proven to relieve the boredom, loneliness and depression that often accompanies the social isolation experienced by seniors. GCCA engages social media and IOT* savvy volunteers to introduce seniors – participating on ZOOM calls – to the more popular social media platforms and IOT devices.
* IOT ( Internet of Things ) refers to the network of physical objects that are embedded with sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data with other devices and systems over the Internet.